Sunday, October 02, 2011

So now the NFL season is into week 4. Now you find out if your top 3 picks were busts or not, and your random waiver wire pickups became gems. I'm currently in 2 fantasy football leagues, one with my company and one with some old friends. It looks like I'm in good position to win both matchups this week(knock on wood). But that also brings up some thoughts. With all the time and research I spent preparing for the draft in my company league, my team will be at .500 with a win this week. Meanwhile, my other league that was straight auto-picked(didn't set anything so I could have ended up with the dreaded combo of Chris Johnson and Peyton Manning) is sitting on a perfect 4-0 win a win this week.

My thoughts are, is it really that important to sit there and research your picks? Could Molly in accounting really win with picking players from teams with "cat" based names? Thought you got a real steal by getting Jamaal Charles in the 2nd or 3rd round as your #2 back, only to watch in horror as he was carted off with a season ending knee injury? Its pretty crazy how addictive and serious people take Fantasy sports now. I'm relatively new to the genre myself, I started with Fantasy Basketball and Baseball in 2003. But that was for bragging rights and pizza. Now I hear companies have pools setup 14-16 deep. Hearing 2 office ladies in an elevator talking about whether they should be starting Jeremy Maclin vs the 49'ers or Sidney Rice vs the Cowboys was pretty interesting. Definitely wasn't something you would hear 5 or 10 years ago. Now if only that would translate to Street Fighter...

No comments: